We’re constantly seeking technology to make our lives easier—placing an order, selecting groceries or choosing a new TV show. From retail to entertainment to finance, we look to technology to help us manage what matters most.
Legal professionals want the same thing. But one office’s needs aren’t the same as another. Each needs customized technology that’s catered to their organization. Legal case management software is the fully customizable solution every organization can use to manage their critical case and matter data (contacts, emails, cases, complaints, etc.) from a single platform.
How can case management software be tailored to your organization? Look for these customization features when choosing a legal case management provider.
Four Ways Customization Can Meet Your Organization’s Needs
Each legal organization has its own way of doing business, whether through spreadsheets, a manual filing system or multiple software systems. These systems are not only outdated and cumbersome to use across the business, but inefficient and untailored.
With customized case management software, you can pull all your critical legal data together in a single location and create a personalized dashboard based on your unique preferences and common tasks, from to-dos to emails to contacts and more.
To select the best case management system for your organization, look for providers who can customize:
- Dashboards and Screens for Individual Users
Each legal professional’s tasks vary on a day-to-day basis. Caseloads, emails and contacts may be shared with other users, but the individual to-dos are unique to each person every day. With user preferences capabilities, you can customize and configure how screens work for each individual user on your team, including what is displayed.
Users can adapt their display settings through a myriad of user preferences so they see exactly what they need to see right away. These customized dashboards give a big-picture view of the day’s activities, ensuring that nothing gets missed.
In a customizable case management solution, you can also adjust user preferences to:
- Set up a visual timeline calendar with an easy-to-read roadmap to manage your case deadlines and events.
- Create hyperlinked shortcuts to the items you use most and save them in “Favorites.”
- Save an entire folder of documents (including subfolders) all at once with “Drop Zone” functionality.
- Drill down into reports with infographic charts that provide deeper insight on your case data.
- System-Wide Preferences
While each of your users may have different activities they manage every day, there are certain standards (like terminology and processes) that must exist within the office to maintain cohesiveness.
With the ability to set up system-wide preferences, you can ensure your system will produce consistent reporting that meets your requirements for acceptable terminology and tracking parameters. System-wide customization allows you to meet the needs of your entire office with the ability to:
- Turn on/off irrelevant functions or features.
- Hide/display specific windows or menus.
- Change field labels to match internal naming conventions.
- Hide certain fields in order to highlight departmental needs.
- Require specific fields for the collection and reporting of essential information.
- Modify report parameters to reflect organization requirements.
- Create user roles with varying permissions to enforce proper security and controls.
- Set up notifications to trigger when a specific action occurs.
- Integrations with Custom Applications
Integrations make your day-to-day operations simpler and easier to manage with automated workflows. Pre-built or custom-built integrations take this efficiency a step further to meet your specific needs and flow data directly to your most central systems (like case or matter management tools).
This way, you get more from both sources, providing additional focus to your day with the ability to spend more time on actual casework and less time on administrative tasks. Integrating other applications to your case management solution allows you to do things like:
- Save documents directly from Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Lock/unlock documents upon creation.
- Route documents from within the case management software to streamline office workflow.
- Integrate directly with human resources or claims systems you already use. (Government agencies can benefit greatly from this capability).
- Email Integrations
Email is most likely the lifeblood of your organization’s daily communication. Like many legal offices or departments, you may be using the same email provider you’ve relied on for years.
By selecting a legal case management software that integrates directly with your existing email provider, you can easily transition to a new platform without the learning curve and headache required in switching email providers. For example, a Microsoft Outlook integration allows you to effortlessly share, create and manage emails, calendars, tasks, contacts and documents between systems. Users can also:
- Copy Outlook information and documents directly to a matter or case. (Just click “Save to Legal Software” and select the appropriate matter or case.)
- Open a document in the legal case software directly from the Office product and “Save to Legal Software.” Once edited, you can overwrite, version and copy the document.
- Automatically version an open document while the original is in the legal case software.
What Matters Most to You?
Legal case management software can be comprehensive, and may contain features that aren’t essential for your day-to-day workload. With personalization and customization, you can create a system that’s tailored to your team’s everyday needs, consistently meeting your business processes, needs and requirements.
It’s this tailored approach that sets Legal Files apart from other corporate legal software providers. With a dedication to customer feedback and continuous improvement, Legal Files ensures your legal case management software works the way you want it to—no matter what your needs are.
“It’s not just that Legal Files has all these tools available. It’s that you can create and use them the way you want. After we created both workflows and triggers, I was able to go back and adjust them to reflect how I wanted them to work. When you have Legal Files, you can say, ‘That’s exactly how I want this to work.’”
Richard E. Hill, Jr., Deputy County Attorney
County of York, Virginia (Legal Files Customer)
With more than 30 years of experience supporting organizations across a number of industries, Legal Files gives teams the customization and personalization they need so they can focus on accomplishing more activities each day with less resources and time.
Request a demo to learn more about how we help organizations like yours manage what matters most.